Since its inception in 2002, NIAC has grown to become the largest Iranian-American grassroots organization in the country, with supporters in all 50 states.
NIAC is a household name on Capitol Hill and has emerged as a trusted source on US-Iran relations and the Iranian-American viewpoint. NIAC is regularly quoted in premier media outlets as an authority on affairs related to the Iranian-American community, including US-Iran relations. NIAC often teams up with groups like the New America Foundation and Amnesty International to discuss issues like the diplomatic relations between the United States and Iran, the deteriorating human rights situation inside Iran and the Iranian nuclear program.
- Helped secure the historic US-Iran nuclear deal, which prevented war and nuclear proliferation. More Information / Press coverage: The Hill
- Championed the success of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) after implementation day, briefed Members of Congress on the deal, and discussed pathways towards improved relations with Iran. More Information / Press coverage: POLITICO
- Worked with Members of Congress to deliver the strongest Congressional statement of support for diplomacy with Iran on record: the Schakowsky-Doggett-Price House letter, signed by 151 Members of Congress. More Information / Press coverage: Huffington Post
- Blocked Senate efforts to pass new sanctions against Iran. More Information
- Worked with Members of Congress to deliver a Congressional statement of support for diplomacy with Iran: the Dent-Price letter signed by 131 Representatives. More information | Press coverage: U.S. News and World Report, Washington Post,AFP, JTA, BBC Persian
- Defeated a Congressional resolution that would have paved the way for a US-Iran war in 2007. More Information | Press coverage: Inter Press Service (IPS), Truthout, Washington Times, Iranian.com
- Blocked a Congressional resolution green-lighting Israeli strikes on Iran. More Information
Supporting Human Rights
- Championed the establishment of a United Nations human rights monitor on Iran to investigate human rights abuses. More Information | Press coverage: America.gov, Yahoo! News, JTA News
- Advanced the first targeted measures against Iranian government officials responsible for human rights abuses. More Information
- Ensured human rights were on the agenda when the U.S. began talks with Iran in October 2009. More Information
- Spurred President Obama to condemn the Iranian government’s brutal crackdown on peaceful demonstrators after Iran’s disputed election, while refraining from endorsing any political faction. More Information
Lifting Broad Sanctions
- Led the successful campaign to lift sanctions that blocked humanitarian organizations from providing disaster relief and other services to meet basic human needs of Iranians. More Information | Press coverage: Reuters, The New York Times
- Successfully advocated for the lifting of sanctions on communications technologies that will help Iranians connect with each other and the outside world, including hardware like laptops and mobile phones, services like virtual private networks (VPNs), and anti-malware software. (2013) More Information | Press coverage: Bloomberg, BBC, Reuters, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal
- Broke the news regarding the discriminatory language in the Visa Waiver Program Improvement Act of 2015 (HR 158) and rallied supporters to generate more than 100,000 messages to Congress urging the repeal of the dual national and travel restriction provisions in the bill. Press coverage: International Business Times, BBC, POLITICO, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Huffington Post
- Prevented the EU Commission from reciprocating visa waiver travel restrictions against American citizens in response to the travel restrictions imposed by the U.S. on European travelers. More Information
- Objected to Yahoo’s compliance with Iran’s censorship of Internet by denying Iranians certain services, followed with positive response from Yahoo. More Information
Objected to the University of Massachusetts’s discriminatory policy against Iranian students and elicited a reversal of the policy, as well as reversals at other universities. More Information
- Worked with Venmo to resolve payment difficulties, specifically with the use of specific keywords in the payment message – such as “Persian” and “Iran.” More Information
- Led the campaign to fix the U.S.’s single-entry visa policy and to allow Iranian students to receive multiple entry visas. More Information | Press coverage: Voice of America Persian, BBC Persian, Chronicle of Higher Education
- Removed offensive and inaccurate portrayals of Iranian Americans in the film Crossing Over. More Information | Press coverage: Reuters/Hollywood Reporter, Los Angeles Times, The Guardian
- Effectively opposed and stopped legislation that would bar every Iranian from entering the United States. More Information | Press coverage: Alternet
- Halted an offensive ad campaign that equated all Iranians with Ahmadinejad. More Information | Press coverage: CNN, Voice of America Persian
- Obtained an apology from Fox sportscasters for racially discriminatory remarks against NBA player Hamed Haddadi. More Information | Press coverage: ESPN Radio, Think Progress
- Compelled a retraction from Rep. Jane Harman for her statement regarding the “separation” of Iran’s ethnic groups. More Information
- Ended Monster.com’s discrimination against Iranian Americans. More Information
- Elicited an apology from MSNBC’s Don Imus for a derogatory comment about an Iranian airliner crash that killed 43 passengers. More Information
Promoting Our Heritage and Community
- Successfully stopped legislation that would have enabled individuals to seize and auction off priceless artifacts from Persepolis held by American museums and universities in order to collect court judgments against the Iranian government. More Information
- Corrected the National Geographic Society’s 8th edition maps to read “Persian Gulf” instead of “Arabian Gulf.” More Information
- Published the first-ever Census of the Iranian-American community. More Information
- Registered thousands of Iranian-American voters. More Information
- NIAC leads the largest coalition of advocacy groups in Washington DC on US-Iran related issues.
- NIAC regularly hosts briefings on Capitol Hill for congressional staffers on areas of interest to the Iranian-American community. Some of our past briefings have focused on Iran’s parliamentary elections, Iran’s nuclear program, Iran’s role in Iraq, and more.
- NIAC defends Iranian-American interests against corporate and media bias and governmental neglect.
- NIAC monitors, influences, and shapes national legislation affecting Iranian Americans.
- NIAC trains Iranian Americans through civic participation at dozens of workshops across the United States, strengthening future generations.