Latest News & Opinion
- Rouhani’s Iraq Trip Highlights His High Ambitions March 15, 2019In this week’s Iran Unfiltered, research associate Sina Toossi discusses the sentencing of prominent Iranian human rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh to 12 years of imprisonment, President Rouhani’s trip to Iraq, Ebrahim Raisi’s election to the Assembly of Experts, and more.
- NIAC Condemns Horrific Attacks on Christchurch Mosques March 15, 2019We are shocked and outraged by the unconscionable terrorist attacks on the al Noor and Linwood mosques in Christchurch yesterday, which claimed the lives of 49 and injured dozens more. We relay our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of those taken in this tragedy, and mourn alongside the ...
- Khatami Says People May No Longer Turnout to Vote March 8, 2019In this week’s Iran Unfiltered, research associate Sina Toossi discusses the sentencing of prominent Iranian human rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh, the appointment of Ebrahim Raisi as Judiciary Chief, and more.
- Appointment of Ebrahim Raisi to Head Iran’s Judiciary Signals Resurgence of Hardline Elements March 7, 2019The appointment of Ebrahim Raisi today to head Iran’s Judiciary—a tremendously powerful institution that has overseen countless miscarriages of justice—is deeply concerning.
- NIAC Statement on Politically Motivated Sentencing of Prominent Human Rights Lawyer, Nasrin Sotoudeh March 6, 2019NIAC unequivocally condemns the Iranian government for its arbitrary and politically motivated detentions in contravention of Iran’s human rights obligations, and reiterates its call for the immediate and unconditional release of Sotoudeh, along with all prisoners of conscience.