To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please call Jamal Abdi at (202) 386-6408.
- TIME: Republicans are Thrilled with the Supreme Court’s Decision Upholding Trump’s Travel Ban June 26, 2018
“From the very beginning, Congress could have taken measures to repeal this, and they haven’t,” Mahsa Payesteh, outreach director at the National Iranian American Council, said while outside of the Supreme Court on Tuesday, where she was protesting the travel ban decision.
- New York Times: Trump Travel Ban: How it Affects the Countries June 26, 2018
The angst has returned with the latest iteration, especially now that it has been validated by the Supreme Court, said Jamal Abdi, vice president of policy at the National Iranian American Council.
- AJ+ Video: Who Is Trying to Kill the Iran Deal? June 24, 2018
“We knew that once a new president came in, once the circumstances change, there was going to be all this money on the table in place to try to kill the deal” explains Jamal Abdi, Vice President of Policy at NIAC.
- Middle East Eye: North America 2026: World Cup and Trump’s Muslim Ban June 14, 2018
Jamal Abdi, policy director at the National Iranian American Council (NIAC), told MEE that the administration has not “lifted a finger” to assure Nike that sanctions would not apply to World Cup sportswear.
- LA Times: Remember the ‘Axis of Evil’? There’s One Member Left, and It’s Chances for a Trump Summit Look Dim June 14, 2018
“This is one of the main differences between the U.S.-North Korea and U.S.-Iran conflicts: While America’s regional allies in the former conflict seek to avoid war and favor a diplomatic solution, U.S. allies in the Middle East oppose negotiations in the latter conflict,” Trita Parsi, president of the National Iranian ...
- Now This: Iran World Cup Team Banned From Wearing Nike Cleats June 13, 2018
The last-minute move is a result of the U.S. leaving the Iran deal — the national Iranian American Council then crushed Nike for the decision calling it a ‘double standard.’
- Between the Lines: Trump’s Withdrawal From Iran Nuclear Agreement Casts Shadow Over U.S.-North Korea Talks June 13, 2018
Between The Lines’ Scott Harris spoke with Jamal Abdi, vice president of policy with the National Iranian American Council. Here, he assesses the impact of Donald Trump’s withdrawal from the Iran nuclear agreement on future talks with North Korea … that could lead to war.
- NBC News: Nike Cuts Ties with Iran’s World Cup Team, Citing U.S. Sanctions June 10, 2018
“I haven’t gotten clarity on what legal basis is using to say this. They should reference what part of the sanctions they are talking about, since technically they’re not selling anything,” said Trita Parsi, the president of the National Iranian American Council.
- Think Progress: Iran Players Forced to Find New Cleats a Week Before World Cup as Nike Bows to Trump June 10, 2018
The National Iranian American Council’s Jamal Abdi blasted Nike’s decision but targeted his criticisms at the Trump administration. Forcing Iran’s players to adjust to completely different footwear a week out would stain a unifying, global tournament with both geopolitical tensions and a sporting “double standard,” he said.
- Washington Post: Nike Will Not Outfit Iranian World Cup Team Due to Sanctions June 9, 2018
“We are disappointed that Nike has boycotted Iran’s World Cup players by refusing to provide shoes to the Iranian national team,” Jamal Abdi, the vice president for policy of the National Iranian American Council, a nonprofit focused on Iranian-American relations, said in a statement.
- CNBC: Tensions Rise at the World Cup as Nike Refuses to Supply Iranian Players with Cleats June 8, 2018
“For many Iranian Americans, the World Cup is a rare chance to put aside the politics that complicate our relationship with our ancestral homeland and just enjoy rooting for Team Melli,” the National Iranian American Council told CNBC. “Nike is dragging politics back into the picture and souring what should ...
- Inquisitr: Nike Refuses to Provide Iran World Cup Soccer Team with Cleats, Cites Trump Administration Sanctions June 8, 2018
Similarly, the National Iranian American Council, in a statement to CNBC, bemoaned how the decision will affect Iranians in the U.S. who want to root for the home team.
- Radio Free Europe: Getting the Boot: Iran Manager Calls Out Nike on World Cup Cleat Snub June 7, 2018
“Governments that drag politics into international sporting events, including Iran itself when it boycotts matches with Israel, face well-deserved admonishment. This situation is unfortunately no different,” the NIAC’s vice president for policy, Jamal Abdi, said in a statement on June 6
- The Jerusalem Post: MSNBC: Black Cube Investigation of Former Obama Officials ‘For Trump’ May 26, 2018
Trita Parsi, a Swedish-born Iran expert who served as an adviser to the Obama administration as it negotiated the 2015 nuclear deal, was also allegedly targeted by Black Cube, and was interviewed for the MSNBC report.
- Al Jazeera: New U.S. Sanctions Target Aircraft Used by Iran’s Rouhani May 25, 2018
According to Trita Parsi, President of NIAC, Dena Airways operates only one aircraft, which is being used by President Rouhani. “So what’s Trump’s aim? Humiliate Iran’s moderates and strengthen its hardliners,” Parsi wrote on social media.