To schedule an interview with one of our experts, please call Jamal Abdi at (202) 386-6408.
- The Globe Post: Trita Parsi: Trump Administration’s Support for Opposition in Iran Not Helpful July 27, 2018
This week, the Globe Post spoke to Trita Parsi, the founder and president of the National Iranian American Council about the Trump administration’s calls for regime change in Iran and whether such efforts are helpful to Iranians yearning for democratic reforms.
- The Sydney Morning Herald: “Never, Ever Threaten the United States Again”: Trump Lashes Iran July 23, 2018
Trita Parsi, head of the National Iranian American Council, said in a statement that Pompeo’s remarks presaged a looming US-Iran confrontation. “Mike Pompeo removed all doubt today that the aim of the Trump administration is confrontation with Iran – not a better nuclear deal or new negotiations,” he said.
- Washington Post: Trump Tweets Late-Night Warning to Iran’s Rouhani July 23, 2018
“Mike Pompeo removed all doubt today that the aim of the Trump administration is confrontation with Iran — not a better nuclear deal or new negotiations,” Trita Parsi, head of the National Iranian American Council, said in a statement.
- Aljazeera: Pompeo Calls Iran’s Religious Leaders “Hypocritical Holy Men” July 23, 2018
Trita Parsi, founder and president of the lobby group National Iranian American Council, said Pompeo’s tough talk could fuel grievances, destabilise Iran and set Tehran and Washington on a collision course.
- LISTEN: NPR: Tweet By Trump Warns Iran’s Hassan Rouhani to Be Cautious July 23, 2018
In an interview with NPR, Trita Parsi, President of the National Iranian American Council described Trump’s tweet as aggressive, stating that “it’s extremely worrisome because the Trump administration, since it came into office, has let a very valuable channel of diplomacy with Iran essentially die.”
- Financial Times: Donald Trump Threatens Iran with Severe ‘Consequences’ July 23, 2018
Trita Parsi, president of the National Iranian American Council, accused Mr Trump of pushing the US and Iran closer to military confrontation. “Trump is driving the United States towards war with Iran, on behalf of Saudi Arabia who wants to fight Iran to the last American,” he wrote on Twitter ...
- WATCH: Democracy Now: U.S. Pushes Confrontation with Iran: Trump July 23, 2018
Discussing Pompeo’s speech, President of NIAC, Trita Parsi states that while he believes the administration’s rhetoric will ultimately fail, “it is nevertheless indicative of where this administration wants to go with its Iran policy.”
- Axios: Pompeo Invokes Human Rights to Defend Administration’s Iran Policy July 22, 2018
Some Iranian American organizations such as the National Iranian American Council (NIAC) boycotted the speech, accusing Pompeo of seeking to co-opt legitimate Iranian grievances.
- Common Dreams: Warnings of “Iraq War Redux” as Bolton and Pompeo are Reportedly Leading Push to “Foment Unrest” in Iran July 22, 2018
Far from what its title would suggest, National Iranian American Council (NIAC) vice president for policy Jamal Abdi argued in a statement that Pompeo’s speech is a blatantly cynical effort to “exploit” Iranian-Americans with the goal of advancing the Trump administration’s aggressive regime change push.
- LA Times: Blasting Iran’s Regime as “Not Normal,” Pompeo Calls on Iranian Americans for Support in California Visit July 22, 2018
Jamal Abdi, vice president for policy at the National Iranian American Council, accused Pompeo of promoting Iran’s hard-line conservatives while pushing policies that he said would cement economic hardship.
- Middle East Eye: Analysis: Iranian-Americans in California Split Over Pompeo’s Visit July 19, 2018
Jamal Abdi, a policy chief at the National Iranian American Council, a lobby group, went further, accusing the administration of trying to “co-opt the Iranian people to provide legitimacy” for an “Iraq War redux for Iran”.
- Politico: Trump Has Tough Sell Recruiting Iranian-Americans in Campaign Against Tehran July 18, 2018
The National Iranian American Council, on the other hand, said its staff appeared to have been blackballed by the administration and that it might stage protests against Pompeo’s speech. The organization, a major defender of the Iran nuclear deal whose leaders have vociferously criticized Trump, has not gone so far ...
- WBEZ’s Worldview: U.S. Excluded from Iran Nuclear Deal Summit in Vienna July 6, 2018
“Foreign ministers from the remaining signatories met in Vienna today to work around continuing U.S. efforts to kill the deal, but U.S. Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, was missing. For analysis, we turn to Trita Parsi, founder and president of the National Iranian American Council.”
- The Guardian: Trump Makes Unfounded Claim that Obama Gave Citizenship to 2,500 Iranians July 3, 2018
Trita Parsi, the head of the National Iranian American Council, said: “That a cleric in Iran is throwing out complete conspiracy theories is sadly normal.”
- New York Times: Trump’s Travel Ban: How it Works and Who is Affected July 1, 2018
“The problem is that with the students knowing that they will never be allowed to work in the U.S., most of them will essentially choose not to come here in the first place,” said Trita Parsi, president of the National Iranian American Council, which strongly opposed the travel ban.