NIAC Hiring Government Affairs Associate
The National Iranian American Council (NIAC) is seeking a Government Affairs Associate to expand NIAC’s relationships with policymakers and advance NIAC’s policy goals. The ideal candidates would have an intimate understanding of Capitol Hill and the U.S. government and experience working on U.S. foreign policy, sanctions, immigration, and/or civil rights issues. This position will report to NIAC’s Policy Director.
About NIAC: The National Iranian American Council is the largest grassroots organization representing Americans of Iranian descent. Join our team and help to advance peace and diplomacy with Iran, secure equitable immigration policies, and protect the civil rights of all Americans.
- Develop or expand a network of contacts on Capitol Hill on issues of interest to the Iranian-American community.
- Conduct meetings with Congressional staff, lawmakers, and Administration officials to advance NIAC’s advocacy agenda.
- Coordinate efforts with Capitol Hill contacts to lead sign-on letters, joint/coordinated statements and lobby on key foreign policy, immigration and civil rights issues.
- Conduct meetings with Administration and agencies, including State Department and Treasury Department.
- Assist with the researching and preparation of policy one-pagers, briefing memos, and questions for Congressional hearings.
- Support the Policy Director in the writing and building of coalition support for joint organizational letters to Congress and Administration.
- Support the Policy Director in organizing coalition advocacy meetings.
- Oversee execution of Congressional briefings.
- Write and edit opinion pieces, blogs, press releases, and news stories.
- Assist the preparation of grassroots action alerts and messages, campaign update emails and join grassroots calls to update supporters on advocacy campaigns.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is $47,000 – $55,000, depending on experience and qualifications. NIAC’s benefits include:
- Generous, company-subsidized health, dental, vision, long-term disability, and life insurance plans
- 17+ days of annual paid leave and 12 paid holidays
- Paid family leave policy
- 401k retirement plan with 2% company match
Required Skills or Related Knowledge:
- Minimum of 2+ years of experience in Congress, government, or advocacy required
- Bachelor’s degree or greater in Political Science, International Relations, or other relevant subject; or equivalent education and experience
- Must be committed to advancing NIAC’s goals and mission
- Experience with foreign policy and/or immigration issues required
- Excellent interpersonal and writing skills required
- Must be highly motivated and take initiative with strong time-management skills
- Persian language and/or familiarity with Iranian-American community a plus
To apply, send resume and cover letter to Ryan Costello at email@example.com, with “Government Affairs Associate” in the subject line. NIAC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.