NIAC Hiring Communications Director
The National Iranian American Council (NIAC) is seeking an experienced professional to manage communications and media relations for immediate hire to work at our Washington, DC headquarters. The Communications Director will lead and manage NIAC and NIAC Action’s strategic communications and marketing efforts and reports to the President.
- Develop communications strategy, coordinate communications across departments, and ensure effective implementation of communications strategy
- Serve as primary organizational media contact. Coordinate media placements, including articles, TV interviews, blog posts, and radio interviews.
- Increase awareness and recognition for NIAC’s programmatic efforts and accomplishments
- Ensure all external communications are high quality, timely, and consistent with communications strategy
- Provide communications support for all department-led initiatives
- Work to build and improve NIAC’s brand, including by managing digital communications manager and overseeing the execution of marketing and branding strategy based on the established communications strategy and organizational goals
- Develop messaging strategies and communication plans for campaigns and events.
- Draft and distribute proactive and responsive statements, press releases, member communications, and website copy with regard to news stories, crises management, reputation management, and other external issues.
- Oversee tracking and analysis of effectiveness of communication efforts
- Oversee messaging on institutional priorities, establish protocols for communications, and manage the communications calendar
- Oversee NIAC’s website, including content, branding, presentation, navigation and analytics
- Oversee and coordinate the design and implementation of digital advertising strategies
- Understands and can think strategically about our message and brand and lead development and manage implementation of comprehensive & systematic communications strategy
- Understands how to most effectively reach our members, the media and the public
- 3-5 years of proven communications experience, preferably on a campaign
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Is a leader who can work across teams to get input and build consensus and support for communication messages and strategies. Can delegate and coordinate to deliver on multiple campaigns – sometimes in multiple languages – at once.
- Goal oriented and seeks out information to test results. Can adapt and adjust strategies based on data and feedback.
- Has strong judgement and an eye for aesthetics, can manage graphic designers, video producers, etc and has right expectations and feedback for them to deliver exceptional final product
- Can take complex messages and boil them down to concise, compelling messaging and copy while maintaining nuances
- Understanding of Iranian-American community, progressive community and issues like no Muslim ban, no war with Iran preferred
- Media relations experience strongly preferred
- Relevant marketing experience preferred
- Persian language ability is a plus
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to David Elliott at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications Director”. Please include salary requirements with your cover letter. Work samples will be requested of finalists.
NIAC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Fortune 100-style benefits include:
- Generous, company-subsidized health, dental, vision, long-term disability, and life insurance plans
- 17+ days of annual paid leave and 12 paid holidays
- Paid family leave
- 401k with 2% company match
The National Iranian American Council is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening the voice of Iranian Americans and promoting greater understanding between the American and Iranian people. We accomplish our mission through expert research and analysis, civic and policy education, and community building.
We are the 501(c)3 sister organization of NIAC Action, the grassroots, civic action organization committed to advancing peace and championing the priorities of the Iranian-American community.