NIAC is pleased to have joined a coalition of national Iranian-American organizations to encourage an accurate count of our community. Correct data on our community is crucial, so we hope you’ll join our efforts to count everyone!
“Write in Iranian” on the 2020 Census
Every 10 years, the U.S. Census Bureau is responsible for counting everyone living in the United States. For the first time ever, the census will provide a place for individuals to write in their national origin next to their preferred racial categories! It is important for all Iranian Americans to write in “Iranian” to ensure that the community is accurately counted. In another first, the census will be available online, making it easier and more convenient for people to be counted.
How to Fill out the 2020 Census
When you reach census question Number 9, choose your preferred racial categories from the list of options: White, Black, American Indian, Asian, Pacific Islander, or Other. Then, writ
Here are some ways that counting accurately benefits the Iranian-American community:
- Allocates funding to communities nationwide
- Used to determine political representation
- Monitors discrimination based on national origin and helps mobilize people
- Provides data on demographic trends, economic, and educational mobility
- Provides services that address the needs of a specific community, such as providing access to Persian-speaking nurses
ℹ️ For more information, visit: WRITEINIRANIAN.COMBack to top