There are a number of incredible organizations that are currently working to assist Afghan refugees as they resettle in the United States. Our community can best help during this time by providing the assistance and resources these organizations need to continue doing their work, whether it is through volunteering our time or by donating. Below is a non-comprehensive list of organizations doing this work. If there is an organization you are aware of that is not listed, please email [email protected] to inquire about adding them to this list.
- Afghans for a Better Tomorrow is urging people to take action and put pressure on decision makers in Washington D.C. to help protect and evacuate Afghan refugees. You can also sign up for their email list to stay updated on their future actions.
- Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service is looking for volunteers in a number of locations across the country and for donations to support Afghan refugees.
- Moms Against Poverty is accepting donations to provide food and basic provisions to Afghan refugees, particularly around the Iran-Afghanistan border.
- Relief International has a license to operate in Iran and is supporting Afghan refugees on the ground.
- Support Afghan women activists fleeing the Taliban through this GoFundMe.
- The Child Foundation is accepting donations to their Afghanistan Crisis Fund
- The Khaled Hosseini Foundation is accepting donations to provide humanitarian aid to the people of Afghanistan.
- Women For Women International is accepting donations to support the women of Afghanistan.
- Lutheran Social Services of the Southwest has volunteer opportunities across the state and are accepting donations.
Colorado and New Mexico
- Lutheran Family Services Rocky Mountains is accepting volunteers and donations for their refugee and asylee work in Albuquerque, Colorado Springs, and Denver.
DC Metro Area
- The Mustafa Center is looking for volunteers to help support the Afghan refugee resettlement program.
- Lutheran Social Services of the National Capital Area (LSSNCA) is looking to help resettle 800 Afghan refugees to the DMV area and is seeking donations to help accomplish this goal.
- The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is seeking donations for their Welcome to Maryland Fund
- Inspiritus is looking for refugee services volunteers.
- International Rescue Committee is accepting donations to support Afghan refugees resettling in the Atlanta area.
- Refugee One has a waitlist for volunteers and is accepting donations, both monetary and material.
- World Relief Chicagoland is experiencing a high volume of volunteers, so they may take 8-10 days to provide next steps after you sign up. They are also accepting donations.
- Refugee Services of Texas has volunteer opportunities all across the state.
- Afghan Health Initiative is accepting donations to support resettling Afghan refugees with housing, emergency finances, healthcare, and overall resettlement assistance.
- Refugee Women’s Alliance is looking for both donations and volunteers to support resettling refugees.