San Francisco Bay Area
NIAC Action is looking for an experienced organizer passionate about mobilizing the Iranian-American community to protect our community’s civil rights, to protect the Iran deal, and to prevent a backslide towards war with Iran. It’s more important now than ever that the Iranian-American community stands together to do just this.
We are hiring a talented individual to organize the Iranian-American community of northern California to increase our community’s political power and in turn build up local Members of Congress as champions for the Iranian-American community who actively fight to protect our community and priorities. The Northern California Field Organizer will be responsible for assisting in the planning and implementation of campaign actions, all the while cultivating Iranian-American activists that will continue to fight for our community for years to come.
The Northern California Field Organizer will join NIAC’s Organizing Department, along with other regional field organizers, and will be overseen by the national Organizing Manager. Field organizers are responsible for the following:
Grassroots & Grasstops Mobilization & Capacity Building
- Helps maximize the political representation of the Iranian-American community by identifying and cultivating grassroots and grasstops leaders. Provide support and motivation through field visits and remote management to grow, educate and mobilize NIAC supporters. Develop local volunteers into NIAC Congressional Captains. Guide and train NIAC members in advance of grassroots actions, town hall meetings, and Congressional in-district meetings. Implement grassroots legislative advocacy strategies, in collaboration with NIAC’s policy team.
- Promote NIAC campaigns to supporters and the broader community, work with district captains and other local volunteers to develop and implement actions and events, work in collaboration with policy and development staff; develop expertise on NIAC’s focus areas and relevant actions, and serve as a regional public representative of NIAC.
Growing Regional Membership
- Leads regional efforts to recruit and engage new members and supporters through special events, campaigns and other incentives.
- Works with the Organizing Manager to develop and implement strategies to grow and diversify membership throughout the assigned region in tangible, innovative and goal-oriented ways.
- Supports Development Manager’s efforts to identify and cultivate new and existing donors. Must be able to work with and manage relations with major donors in the region.
Engaging Community Through Local Events
- Organizes (directly and/or indirectly through volunteers) local events to grow and mobilize the membership, including private meet-n-greets at private homes and venues; supports day of community service events; events of interest to the community such as local film screenings and book signings; and more to create well-attended and impactful local events and regional meetings that match organizational goals.
Developing Relationships in the Region
- Initiate and steward relationships with local organizations to connect and integrate the work of NIAC campaigns and members to local needs and opportunities. Assist National Outreach Manager in staffing and overseeing local Regional Council.
Supporting and Developing Member Groups and Volunteers
- Ensure materials are provided to NIAC members, activists and local partners; track and report on local group activities and needs; serve as link between member activists and NIAC’s Washington staff.
- Provide trainings for volunteers to increase their own grassroots organizing skills. Cultivate top volunteers to take on leadership roles and independently run campaign actions.
- Maintain accurate records of volunteer engagement, prepare reports and evaluate outcomes of community engagements.
- Other duties as assigned
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent education plus experience is required.
- Requires 3+ years of relevant experience. Experience and training with grassroots organizing, including campaign work, is highly preferred.
Skills or Related Knowledge
- Teambuilding, organizing and excellent presentation and facilitation skills are required.
- Familiarity with the Iranian American community in Northern California required.
- Must be organized, entrepreneurial, and self-driven with excellent time management skills for work that requires both significant independence and close collaboration with DC staff
- Must be familiar with the policy issues NIAC works on and the political landscape
- Must be committed to advancing NIAC’s goals and mission
- Ability to speak Farsi (Persian) is strongly preferred.
- S/he must be able to travel in and work on weekends and evenings as needed. Periodic travel to Washington, DC headquarters may be required.
Salary & Benefits
Salary: $38,000 – $50,000, depending on experience.
Fortune 100-style benefits include:
- Generous health, dental, vision, long-term disability, and life insurance plans
- 15 days of annual paid leave and 12 paid holidays
- 401k with 2% company match
- Tax-advantaged commuter benefits program
- Additional benefits through TotalSource benefits partner include: training opportunities, corporate discounts, and Employee Assistance Program
How to Apply
- Send resume and cover letter to Donna Farvard (dfarvard[at]niacouncil.org) with the subject line “Northern California Field Organizer”
About NIAC and NIAC Action
The National Iranian American Council (NIAC) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening the voice of Iranian Americans and promoting greater understanding between the American and Iranian people. NIAC Action is the grassroots, civic action organization committed to advancing peace and championing the priorities of the Iranian-American community. Selected candidate will be a shared employee for both NIAC and NIAC Action.Back to top