Update: This position has been filled.
NIAC, the largest Iranian-American organization representing Iranian Americans, seeks a Immigration and Civil Rights Legal Fellow. The Legal Fellow works within NIAC’s Policy team and reports to NIAC’s Policy Director to build relationships on Capitol Hill and the Executive Branch and provide expertise on immigration and civil rights issues to advance NIAC’s policy goals, including responding to threats to civil rights and immigration posed by Trump administration policies.
Policymaker Advocacy & Education – Establishes and maintains relationships with Members of Congress and their staff, Executive Agencies, and other policy makers, educates these policy makers about key issues and events, and advocates to advance NIAC Action’s policy agenda.
Policy and Legal Analysis – Helps tracks legislation and policies that affect the Iranian-American community and closely follows news relevant to NIAC’s issue agenda. Provides written analysis of legislation, regulations and policy proposals.
Constituent Assistance – Tracks and provides assistance to individuals affected by ongoing policy issues, including Trump’s Muslim ban.
Support Grassroots Advocacy – Assists NIAC’s Outreach team in executing effective constituent meetings.
Communications – Drafts and edits articles, blogs, op-eds, press releases, and action alerts to help educate and engage the Iranian American community.
Other – Provides general assistance to the Policy Director.
A Juris Doctor (JD) degree is required.
Requires 2+ years’ relevant experience with immigration and civil rights law. Experience practicing law is a plus. Experience with an advocacy organization and/or Capitol Hill is preferred.
Skills or Related Knowledge
- Excellent writing and interpersonal skills required.
- Must be highly motivated and take initiative with strong time-management skills
- Must be committed to advancing NIAC’s goals and mission
- Persian language and/or familiarity with Iranian-American community a plus.
- Experience working with government agencies and/or Capitol Hill is preferred.
- Experience providing legal services to individuals affected by civil rights or immigration issues is preferred.
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Fortune 100-style benefits include:
- Generous health, dental, vision, long-term disability, and life insurance plans
- 15 days of annual paid leave and 12 paid holidays
- 401k with 2% company match
- Tax-advantaged commuter benefits program
- Additional benefits through TotalSource benefits partner include: training opportunities, corporate discounts, and Employee Assistance Program
How to Apply
- Send resume and cover letter to David Elliott (delliott[at]niacouncil.org) with the subject line “Immigration and Civil Rights Legal Fellowship”
- Please note your salary requirements in your cover letter.
About NIAC and NIAC Action
The National Iranian American Council (NIAC) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening the voice of Iranian Americans and promoting greater understanding between the American and Iranian people. NIAC Action is the grassroots, civic action organization committed to advancing peace and championing the priorities of the Iranian-American community. Selected candidate will be a shared employee for both NIAC and NIAC Action.Back to top