Foreign Policy Intern
Now accepting Spring & Summer applicants
The National Iranian American Council (NIAC) is accepting internship applications to work with the foreign policy team at our Washington, D.C. office. Standard internships are full-time positions for a duration of one academic semester (spring, summer or fall) with exceptions possible for applicants who plan to be enrolled in classes during the internship. NIAC will assist in helping students receive credit for their internship. This is an unpaid internship.
NIAC is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing the interests of the Iranian-American community for peace, democracy, and universal rights. We accomplish our mission by supplying the resources, knowledge and tools to enable greater civic participation by Iranian Americans and informed decision-making by lawmakers.
Interns work with NIAC staff on advocacy and community outreach activities. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Monitor and research Congressional activities
- Attend and summarize Congressional hearings and policy briefings around Washington, DC
- Draft analyses and action alerts on issues related to foreign policy, immigration and civil rights
- Write articles for NIAC’s website, op-eds for NIAC’s blog, NIAC inSight
- Assist with program implementation, database management, community outreach, event planning, logistical support for staff activities, and other administrative duties
- Applicants with strong creative skills may assist with graphic design, upkeep and enhancements to NIAC’s website, and/or producing short videos which educate the community and/or highlight NIAC activities
- Applicants who are fluent in Persian may assist with translating news from Iran for NIAC’s blog, translating NIAC materials to Persian, and maintaining NIAC’s Persian language website
NIAC seeks individuals with a wide range of skills who are highly motivated to support NIAC’s work.
- Current Undergraduate/Graduate student or recent graduate
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience or demonstrated interest in international relations, political science, public policy, law, public relations, social media strategies, marketing, journalism, and/or graphic design
- Self-motivating and highly versatile
- Experience with Congress advocacy campaigns and/or grassroots organizations
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, WordPress, and/or other multimedia production tools
- Experience or interest in fundraising, donor sponsorships and development
- Fluency in Persian (Farsi)
How to Apply
Please email your resume, cover letter, and a short writing sample to SJ Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org
In your cover letter please specify how many hours you are able to work and what your desired start and end dates are. The duration of the internship will be as follows:
Spring session: April 15th-June 14th
Summer session: June 14th- Aug 23rd
Dates may vary depending on availability.
Write the following in the subject of your email: FP Internship [insert your name]
In the event you are not shortlisted for the Foreign Policy Internship, please indicate whether you’d like to be considered for the Organizing Internship and/or the Graphics & Communications Internship.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. NIAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.