Press TV reported today that a senior lawmaker, Morteza Alviri, says he plans to release a detailed list of those who were killed in the street violence following the election.
a senior Parliamentarian and member of the special committee investigating the death and detention of election protestors, said he would list all individuals killed in the demonstrations that spiraled out of control. “With the cooperation of the officials at the Behesht Zahra cemetery in Tehran, we have decided to review death certificates and list all the recent victims,” said Alviri, adding that the list would be made available to Parliament (Majlis) upon completion.
His remarks come only days after Alaeddin Boroujerdi, Head of the Parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Commission, said the committee’s list of the death toll had been proven “inconclusive”. Alviri acknowledged the shortcomings of the post-vote death list, saying that it was based on preliminary information obtained from the friends and families of the victims.
Back to top
According to a count by the committee, at least 30 people were killed in the grisly wave of street violence that ensued the disputed June 12 presidential election.