Washington D.C. Organizing Intern
Now accepting Spring applicants
The National Iranian American Council (NIAC) is accepting internship applications on a rolling basis to work in Washington, D.C. Standard internships are full-time positions for a duration of one academic semester (spring, summer or fall) with exceptions possible for applicants who plan to be enrolled in classes during the internship. NIAC will assist in helping students receive credit for their internship. This is an unpaid internship.
NIAC is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing the interests of the Iranian-American community for peace, democracy, and universal rights. We accomplish our mission by supplying the resources, knowledge and tools to enable greater civic participation by Iranian Americans and informed decision-making by lawmakers.
Interns work with NIAC staff on grassroots organizing activities. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Monitor and research Congressional activity
- Draft action alerts on issues related to foreign policy, immigration and civil rights
- Assist in planning events that will engage both the Iranian-American community and the general public
- Assist in planning and participate in grassroots actions, such as phonebanks, petition tables, town hall meetings, etc.
- Assist with program implementation, database management, community outreach, volunteer recruitment, logistical support for staff activities, and other administrative duties
- Applicants with strong creative skills may assist with graphic design and/or producing short videos which educate the community and/or highlight NIAC activities
- Applicants who are fluent in Persian may assist with translating translating NIAC materials to Persian.
NIAC seeks individuals with a wide range of skills who are highly motivated to support NIAC’s work.
- Current Undergraduate/Graduate student or recent graduate
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience or demonstrated interest in international relations, political science, grassroots organizing, public policy, law, public relations, social media strategies, marketing, journalism, and/or graphic design
- Self-motivating and highly versatile
- Experience with advocacy campaigns and/or grassroots organizations
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, WordPress, and/or other multimedia production tools
- Experience or interest in developing volunteer leaders
- Fluency in Persian (Farsi)
How to Apply
Please email your resume, cover letter, and a short writing sample to Donna Farvard at firstname.lastname@example.org
In your cover letter please specify how many hours per week you are able to work and what your desired start and end dates are. The duration of this internship will be from January through April.
Write the following in the subject of your email: DCO Internship [insert your name]
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. NIAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.