This position has been filled.
Los Angeles Area (LA, Irvine, OC, etc.)
The largest organization representing Iranian Americans seeks an experienced organizer who is passionate about mobilizing the Iranian American community around key issues, including protecting civil rights and preventing war. The Field Organizer is responsible for organizing, coordinating and integrating the work of the National Iranian American Council (NIAC) and NIAC Action grassroots members and teams in the greater Los Angeles area and Southern California. S/he coordinates and collaborates with NIAC’s Washington, DC staff to deliver messaging, training and resources to volunteers, district captains, donors and interested community members. The Field Organizer is responsible for increasing and mobilizing NIAC’s support base within Southern California to create and support a cohesive, strategic, and effective approach to achieving NIAC’s goals. The Field Organizer will also manage relations with major donors in the region. S/he will report to NIAC’s National Outreach Director.
Grassroots & Grasstops Mobilization & Capacity Building – Helps maximize the political representation of the Iranian-American community by identifying and cultivating grassroots and grasstops leaders. Provide support and motivation through field visits and remote management to grow, educate and mobilize NIAC supporters. Develop local volunteers into NIAC Congressional Captains. Guide and train NIAC members in advance of Congressional in-district meetings. Implement grassroots legislative advocacy strategies, in collaboration with NIAC’s policy team.
Promote NIAC campaigns to supporters and the broader community, work with district captains and other local volunteers to develop and implement actions and events, work in collaboration with policy and development staff; develop expertise on NIAC’s focus areas and relevant actions, and serve as a regional public representative of NIAC.
Grow Regional Membership – Leads regional efforts to recruit and engage new members and supporters through special events, campaigns and other incentives. Supports Development Director’s efforts to identify and cultivate new and existing donors. Must be able to work with and manage relations with major donors in the region.
Work with the Outreach and Development Director to develop and implement strategies to grow and diversify membership throughout the assigned region in tangible, innovative and goal-oriented ways.
Maintain accurate records of volunteer engagement, prepare reports and evaluate outcomes of community engagements.
Engage Community Through Local Events – Organizes (directly and/or indirectly through volunteers) local events to grow and mobilize the membership, including private meet-n-greets at private homes and venues; supports day of community service events; events of interest to the community such as local film screenings and book signings; and more to create well-attended and impactful local events and regional meetings that match organizational goals.
Develop/Increase Local Presence:
Initiate and steward relationships with local organizations to connect and integrate the work of NIAC campaigns and members to local needs and opportunities. Assist National Outreach Director in staffing and overseeing local Regional Council.
Support of Member Groups and Volunteers:
Ensure materials are provided to NIAC members, activists and local partners; track and report on local group activities and needs; serve as link between member activists and NIAC’s Washington staff.
Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education plus experience is required.
Requires 4+ years’ relevant experience. Experience and training with grassroots organizing, including campaign work, is highly preferred.
Skills or Related Knowledge
- Teambuilding, organizing and excellent presentation and facilitation skills are required.
- Familiarity with the Iranian-American community in Southern California required.
- Must be organized, entrepreneurial, and self-driven with excellent time management skills for work that requires both significant independence and close collaboration with DC staff
- Must be familiar with the policy issues NIAC works on and the political landscape
- Must be committed to advancing NIAC’s goals and mission
- Ability to speak Farsi (Persian) is strongly preferred.
- S/He must be able to travel in and work on weekends and evenings as needed. Periodic travel to Washington, DC headquarters required, including for orientation and training shortly after hire.
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Fortune 100-style benefits include:
- Generous health, dental, vision, long-term disability, and life insurance plan options
- 15 days of annual paid leave and 12 paid holidays
- 401k with 2% company match
How to Apply
- Send resume and cover letter to David Elliott (delliott[at]niacouncil.org) with the subject line “Southern California Field Organizer”
- Please note your salary requirements in your cover letter.
About NIAC and NIAC Action
The National Iranian American Council (NIAC) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening the voice of Iranian Americans and promoting greater understanding between the American and Iranian people. NIAC Action is the grassroots, civic action organization committed to advancing peace and championing the priorities of the Iranian-American community. Selected candidate will be a shared employee for both NIAC and NIAC Action.