Government Relations Associate
Salary: $48,000-$60,000/year DOE
About NIAC and NIAC Action:
NIAC is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to educating, engaging, and celebrating the Iranian-American community. NIAC Action, the 501(c)(4) sister organization of NIAC, is dedicated to building political power for the Iranian-American community to advance peace and diplomacy, secure equitable immigration policies, and protect the civil rights of all Americans.
The Government Relations Associate works with our Policy team to strengthen and expand NIAC’s influence with policymakers and other key stakeholders. This position will directly lend support to advancing NIAC’s policy agenda on Capitol Hill and with the Administration. This role will report to the Policy Director. Anticipated start date is February 2022.
Due to COVID-19, NIAC and NIAC Action have adopted a flexible remote work policy for 2022. Fully vaccinated staff will be required to attend some in-person meetings as needed. Working East Coast hours (9am-5pm) M-F is required and strong preference will be given to candidates in the Washington, DC area.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Capitol Hill and Administration Outreach
- Closely track developments on key issues on Capitol Hill and within the Administration and identify strategies and opportunities to advance advocacy interests
- Maintain relationships and expand NIAC’s network of contacts on Capitol Hill and within federal agencies on issues of interest to the Iranian-American community
- Coordinate efforts with Capitol Hill contacts regarding legislation, sign-on letters, and joint/coordinated statements on key foreign policy, immigration, and civil rights issues
- Conduct meetings with Congressional staff, Members of Congress, and Administration officials to advance NIAC’s policy agenda
Support Policy Programming and Operations
- Support with research and preparation of policy one-pagers, briefing memos, and questions for Congressional hearings
- Assist the Policy Director in coalition-building efforts including joint organizational letters to Congress and Administration
- Participate in and help organize advocacy meetings with coalitions and stakeholders
- Oversee execution of Congressional briefings
- Write and edit opinion pieces, blogs, press releases, and news stories.
- Assist the preparation of grassroots action alerts and messages, campaign update emails and join grassroots calls to update supporters on advocacy campaigns.
- Minimum of 2+ years experience working in Congress, government, or advocacy
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field preferred
- Experience and familiarity with the policymaking process required
- Experience with foreign policy and/or immigrations issues required
- Excellent interpersonal and writing skills required
- Must be highly motivated, take initiative, and have strong time-management skills
- Dedication to organization mission and work
- Familiarity with the Iranian-American community and ability to speak, read, and/or write Persian (Farsi) a significant plus, but not required
- Health, dental, vision, long-term disability, life insurance coverage, and EAP options provided
- 17+ days of annual paid leave and 17 paid holidays
- 401k with 2% company match after 6 months of employment
- Annual professional development stipend
- Paid family leave
Send resume and cover letter to Ryan Costello at [email protected] with the subject line “Government Relations Associate”. Position will remain open until filled, but priority will be given to applications received before January 21, 2022.
NIAC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.