Student Visa Help Center

NIACampus cannot provide students with specific advice about their case.  We can, however, provide you with information to help with your application and visa process.

Iranians students may make appointments and apply for nonimmigrant visas at any nonimmigrant visa issuing post outside of Iran.  However, Persian-speaking interviewing officers are available only at the U.S. Embassy in Ankara and the U.S. Consulate in Dubai.

More information about visa applications through the U.S. Consulate in Dubai

More information about visa applications through the U.S. Embassy in Ankara

Full listing of U.S. Embassies and Consulates

New Student Visa Policy Change

NIAC led the campaign to fix the Single-Entry Visa policy and to allow Iranian students to receive multiple entry visas, educating officials in the White House, State Department, and Congress about this issue. NIAC worked with Congress to require the White House to investigate how to expand the number and types of visas available to Iranian students--a measure that passed a critical Senate Committee vote last year but that has yet to be passed into law.

NIAC also organized meetings between Iranian Americans and their representatives in Congress on the topic, and NIAC members sent thousands of letters to President Obama and Secretary of State Clinton calling for the policy to be changed.

The National Iranian American Council (NIAC) applauds the Obama Administration’s decision to repeal the Single-Entry Visa policy for Iranian students. The decision will expand opportunities for Iranians to study in the US at a time when record numbers of Iranian youth seek to escape repression in Iran.  For more information, on NIAC's campaign, click here.

Click here to view FAQ about the student visa policy change.  For information on interactive Webinars with State Department officials as well as Information Sessions on this issue, please click here to visit NIAC's Events calendar.

Find a lawyer

It can be helpful to have an immigration lawyer to help with the application process.



Iranian American Bar Association

Allows users to search for Iranian-American lawyers.  IABA is dedicated to protecting and furthering the interests, and promoting the advancement, of the Iranian-American community at large and the community of Iranian-American attorneys in particular.

Allows users to search for lawyers using different criteria, including the ability to speak Persian/Farsi.

The American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)

National association of immigration lawyers established to promote justice, advocate for fair and reasonable immigration law and policy, advance the quality of immigration and nationality law and practice, and enhance the professional development of its members.

Pars Equality Center

Pars Equality Center is dedicated solely to the protection of the rights and dignity of Iranian peoples in the United States. With a non-partisan, non-adversarial approach, Pars raises public awareness and amplifies Iranian American perspectives in law, policy, and the media.


What can Iranian-American citizens do to help their family members with U.S. Visa applications?

Contact your Senator’s and Representative’s office. You can make an appointment with your elected official’s immigration case worker in a local district office. They follow up on immigration cases, including those outside the regular processing times, and can help speed up nonimmigrant application process for any case. For guidance on how best to request an appointment with your Senator or Representative, contact us at

To find your elected official’s contact information, enter your zip code here 

You can also write a letter to the consulate, which family members can include in their application. Family members, especially U.S. citizens, have luck sometimes by writing a letter to their consulate on behalf of their family member. This letter should state that you as a U.S. citizen will care for your family member provide them a place to stay and ensure they will not overstay their visa. Provide your name, phone number and address, and have it notarized.

Look up embassy and consulate addresses here